Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Famous T-shirt Quilt

This is the project that I've been working on since Mark left for China. That was 6 long weeks ago, and I still have 2 more weeks left to await his return. I know that there are a few other things that I can do to keep myself busy before he comes home, so don't worry about me.

So I finally finished the quilt...ok, ok...so for the perfectionist that I am, I still have a few adjustments that I want to make around the edging so that it looks better, but for all intensive purposes, it's completed and I thought that I would now add the pictures to let everyone see how it turned out. I am actually quite proud of it since it is my first quilt. I'm sure that if I made a quilt from materials that didn't stretch, or small enough that it didn't tug out of the sewing machine by its sheer weight, then it would have turned out to be a much nicer quilt. As it is, I am quite excited to show everyone how it turned out. I think that if you click on the slideshow, it will redirect you to another page where you can see the images bigger and with the captions I included.


I know that many of you are wondering how Mark has been since he left for China. That can best be answered by talking to him directly, but from what he's told me it has been a pretty good experience. Honestly, before he left we anticipated that the law firm he's working for as an intern would have him working for about 44 hours per week and that he would have to work an additional 40 hours as the research assistant for Prof. Wexler here at Boston University. Thinking that it was going to be a very busy summer for him, we were both hoping that he was not going to be too burnt out by the time he had to start school again. As it turns out, the law firm really hasn't given him much to do at all. There were a couple articles that they wanted him to edit, a couple articles they wanted him to write for publication...but not really a whole lot of things that took up any time. So he was able to spend much of his time in the office doing the research for Prof. Wexler. He did get to go to a cocktial party, and a few meetings with clients, so it was good for him to see what goes on in the corporate law firm, but he was disappointed that there wasn't more for him to do for them.

Now that he's completed the research that Prof. Wexler asked him to do, he's just waiting for more assignments to be given him. He's pretty much just waiting for time to pass so that he can come back home. I think it has been a valuable experience for Mark, but it may not have been as "invaluable" as we hoped it would be when he left. Needless to say, it has been a very long summer for the both of us, even if there hasn't been a lot to tell others. We'll be glad for the summer to be over. Mark will be interviewing for next summer's internship, I will be working just like always, but we're looking forward to this reunion and start of a new school year...one more year closer to the end of school! We can just see the light at the end of the tunnel...a few bumps along the way, but we're that much closer!

2 comments:

LittleBrownFamily said...

Wow, the quilt is beautiful! Well done, Kat!

Mary Brown said...

That quilt is amazing and it looks like Mark had a great time in China. What a valuable experience. We will be praying for you and hope all goes well with his interviews. Maybe you should look into Vegas????

Love you,

Aunt Mary