Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I can still be grateful...

Well, Monday we received it...the rejection letter from Hodgson Russ. So, now we are out of job prospects, but we're still not out of the running. Just on Saturday we mailed out another 118 resumes to firms in New England, Illinois, Colorado, Texas, and maybe even Utah. Mark will also be working with the CDO (the career center at the school) to find an internship for next summer. As for now we're still doing what we can to find ANYTHING for next year. Sure, we have our concerns, but we're trying hard to be positive about it all. (Admittedly, Mark is a lot better at that than I am right now.)


I often feel happier when I have a project to work on, so I've given myself the task of making an outfit as my gift for my friend's baby shower. Of course, the baby shower is in the past, so the gift was that she could help me design the outfit and that I would make it for her. I've already given her a baby blanket, but I took it back to do one last finishing touch. I took advantage of the Veterans' Day Sale at JoAnn Fabrics (thanks Aunt Colette!) and I'm ready to get started with this project. My only problem is that I seem to have so many other things that occupy my time. So...I've had the material for a week, and I still haven't been able to get started. Hopefully I will soon. I would like to have it done before the baby is born; if not, then before I leave for Christmas. We'll see! It's all just a matter of time, and how I schedule it. :)


Despite the fact that we're searching for a job in the worst market in the history of our lives, and the fact that I don't seem to ever have both the time and energy to make dinner after a long day at work, there are so many things that I must be grateful for. In an attempt to turn my attitude into something great, I will make a list (not all-inclusive by any means) of random things that I am grateful for:
-The sunny sky: when the wind stops blowing for just a moment, I can feel a split second of warmth amidst the 32 degree Boston weather.
-Facebook online chat: when I'm so bored at work with nothing to really pass the time, at least there are chances to rekindle old friendships or talk to family far away, and it gives me a little more joy in an otherwise boring day.
-Space heaters: it may not be that cold in the office, but a space heater under my desk certainly does make it a lot more comfortable.
-Computers with Internet: if I didn't have a way to blog and work with digital photos, I would feel like I had a lot more work to do in order to to keep up with scrapbooks and personal history. At least this way I can do it at work while I'm just killing time.
-Skinny Cow Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches: when I need to indulge, at least I can do it for less than 120 calories.

See? I feel better already! Maybe you should try it! What are a few random things that you're thankful for? Of course I would include in my list things like my husband, and family, and my Savior, but what about the little things? What small things bring you joy? Leave a comment and share the joy!!

2 comments:

ty and megs said...

i am thankful that mckinlay goes to bed at 6:30.

i am thankful that it is 6:48 {which means she is already in bed}

i'm thankful that you posted about strawberry skinny cows.

and NOW i'm thankful i have to go to the grocery store tomorrow.

Jen said...

I am all about those skinny cows! Not bad for so little calories! Good luck with the job hunt.