Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Memorial Day and More

If I don't write something down here now, I'll never remember to post it. Sorry there are no pictures, even though I did take quite a few on Memorial Day. For Memorial Day last week, Mark and I decided fairly last minute to go visit the Joseph Smith Birthplace Memorial in Vermont. We knew that living in Boston meant that we were pretty close to it, and that if we didn't do it at least once in the 3 years of living here, we'd be kicking ourselves. We could've gone to New York City, but we figured that no matter where we lived, we would still want to make a trip to NYC, but that was not necessarily the case for Vermont. Mark was happy to be able to count one more state that he had visited.

On the way to the memorial, we saw signs for a Vietnam War Memorial at one of the state visitors' centers at a rest stop. We figured this would be a fitting thing to do on Memorial Day, so we stopped to take a look around. They had a huge plaque of all the people who served and died in the Vietnam War from the state of New Hampshire...or was it Vermont? Either way, I think there were about 72,000 names from that state alone, and there was even an addendum to the large plaque because there were names that weren't available at the time the original memorial was constructed. While looking around, we happened upon a few Jehovah's Witnesses who got to talking with us and asked us several questions about our beliefs...mainly about the afterlife. We had a nice conversation, and then we went on our way. The drive was nice and peaceful, the weather was beautiful (and windy), and it was just nice to go for a drive and enjoy the beauty of New England. We also got to feel the peaceful spirit that was there at the memorial site and talking to the missionaries who run the visitors' center there. After we got home, Mark just felt like he really didn't want to be stuck inside, so we invited our neighbors to go out to eat at a Mexican restaurant that we've been wanting to try for a while.

The rest of the week seems a little hazy to me now. I remember feeling like we were just busy doing something everyday, but I can't really remember what we did. I do remember that I went to our Girls' Night which was a clothing/things swap with the other ladies in the ward. (That was mainly fun for the socializing aspect than it was for the things I picked up to bring home.) I remember going to see an 8th grade musical production of "Once on This Island" because a friend from our ward was the director and music teacher at the school.

And at some point between the last post and now the following has happened: I registered to take the GRE on Sept. 19th, which means that I will need to make sure that I get plenty of study in (but blogging is so much more fun); Mark's 3:03 certification came through, which means that he will now get to do some more fun things in the courtroom during his internship- like make bail arraignments, motions, and even prosecute in the court if any of his cases get that far; I started wearing maternity clothes because even my big pants cut into me even without a belt (I still don't feel like I'm showing a whole lot, but maternity pants are much more comfortable with a sensitive belly); and Mark's been working on getting things put together to apply for clerkships for after he graduates.

I'm fairly certain that things will get hectic and stressful when the summer ends: school starts up again, Mark will be going through another recruiting season, I'll be preparing to have a baby, having mothers come to visit and help with the newborn, securing logistics for a babysitter for going back to work, and anything else I didn't think to mention. For now we're enjoying the time that we get to spend together in the evenings without Mark doing homework. I feel like life is good to us, and we're just pluggin' along.

No comments: