Sunday, July 11, 2010

Our New Place, and Our Current Place

This week I spent a lot of time online looking for a new place to live in Western, MA. Thursday I drove out there with Canon and looked at 3 apartments. On Saturday, Mark came with us that time and we saw about 10 places... and it was totally worth it. We put down a security deposit on this...

It actually has a lot of storage space with a full basement, 3 bedrooms, a dining room, and even...

a backyard...

and a driveway!! No more street parking for this grocery-shoppin' mama!!

We were super excited about this place and talking about it the whole drive home. Then, once we got home, this is what we found.

Remember when our apartment got water damage from the foundation leaking into our bedroom last summer? Well, that was nothing compared to this. Canon's entire floor was soaked, as was his closet (which we use as our storage closet for all our boxes of books and other treasures), into the hallway, the coat closet, and even our bedroom's closet.

Walking on the carpets, water would pool around your foot. Mark said that he went into Canon's room and jumped around...and the floor SPLASHED. Who needs to go outside when it rains in order to play in the puddles?

The management had sent men over to the apartment to wet-vac all the carpets... AT 10:30PM. I wasn't too excited about waking Canon up so often that night, but we would rather that they get it all cleaned up sooner rather than later. We had to pull out all the stuff out of all those closets and the bedroom... this is what my living room and kitchen looked like.


I was super stressed about it all day. I didn't want to go home after church because I didn't want to be in the apartment, with all the huge fans blowing, and the dehumidifier making all the loud noise. I didn't want to be in a place where I couldn't even think about putting my baby down to play. He would HATE being in the play pen all day and not be able to crawl around. Luckily I am blessed with a husband who let me just nap while the baby did... in the only place that seemed to give refuge to the horrible mess. When I woke up, the apartment looked like this!


There's actually space for Canon to play, my kitchen is totally open... the hallways are a little narrower, but they're workable. Everything that we need to be able to get to is accessible. I no longer feel like I don't have my apartment anymore.

Mark is the BEST HUSBAND EVER!!

4 comments:

LittleBrownFamily said...

Wow! Kudos to Mark!! That is so awesome of him.
Your new home is simply charming! I love it! I hope your neighbors and ward are warm and welcoming to you.

Erin Chavez said...

Love the new place! Sorry that ya'll are having to deal with the water mess. ugh! Don't cha love it when husbands are awesome :) Hope the move goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

First, love the house you guys got. Second, of all the bad luck of having it flood after last years water issue...looks like the company needs to take some serious looks at the plumbing in the building. Third, I completely understand the need for a place the baby can play. Glad you got such a sanctuary in such a chaotic apt. Mark you are awesome.

Breanne said...

OH my goodness! Look at all that water! That's awful!