Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Who's the Turkey Now?

So on Thursday of last week I went upstairs to get Canon from his nap.  I looked out the window and saw something that made my jaw drop.  I ran with Canon down the stairs to hurry and get the camera to take pictures to prove what I saw.  I really couldn't believe my eyes.



That's right.  I saw LIVE TURKEYS just strutting down my sidewalk.  I would've taken more pictures, but my battery died... or the memory card was full... one or the other.  But seriously!!  I was about ready to call the local news to tell them about it, thinking maybe they had escaped from a local petting zoo or something and this call would help them locate the missing turkeys.  I didn't have time to look up the phone number on the internet because I had to leave to go pick up Mark from work.  Oh well, next time, I guess!

I was super excited about it, and when I showed Mark the pictures he was just as amused.  That night I went to book club and showed the hostess the pictures on my camera, and do you know how she responded?  "Oh, yeah that's cool.  Wild turkeys are all over these parts.  Didn't you know?  One year on the Sunday after Thanksgiving there was a whole flock of them at the church building strutting their stuff."

Ok, so I guess it wasn't that impressive afterall.  Maybe it's a good thing I didn't call the news station, huh?  I just never figured that there were wild turkeys anymore.  I assumed they were all domesticated and bred on farms these days.  Guess I'm the big turkey now! *blushes*

1 comment:

LittleBrownFamily said...

That would be awesome to see wild turkeys wandering around. I have heard of it before, especially in the New England area.
In fact, last year a friend of mine (here in Utah) had a wild turkey sacrifice itself to her on Thanksgiving morning. She and her husband were going for a scenic drive in the canyon (I don't know which one; there are a few around here) and on their way home, they saw it in the middle of the road. They came to a stop and R (the husband) stepped out to look closer. The turkey got startled and flew off in a flutter, only to smack into a building off the side of the road. It hit the building with such force that it broke its own neck and died instantly. So R picked it up and it was enjoyed at their Thanksgiving feast that night. They brought me a few of the tail feathers to see.