Sunday, May 15, 2011

Finished Projects

So I DID complete that ladybug quilt within the week.  I sent it out on Wednesday (I think) and Tiffany got it on Friday.  It turned out to be a good day for her to receive it because she's had a hard week- I mean, come on... she just had a baby, of course she had a hard week- and this was just the pick-me-up she needed.  At least, that's what she tells me. (It makes me all the more excited about a project I've done when the person I gave it to loves it so much!)  I'm still not very good at doing the edging on baby quilts, but I think that's more because I don't have the patience to actually do it right (with doing the hand stitching to hide the machine stitch from the other side).  Overall, I think it turned out really cute though.

Not bad for my first hand-quilting job, eh?

a corner for a little better view of details

another corner to show edging job

I really liked working on this blanket, and I had a few bits of the fabric leftover.  I was hoping to be able to make a baby blanket for my landlord who's having a girl in July, but there was enough to actually make an entire blanket.  So, after a little bit of thought and deliberation with a sewing-savvy auntie, I decided to quilt a few burp rags.

I used inspiration from this website, however not following her directions strictly, I came up with this:

made this template (trimmed from the one on the above website)
The same checker look of the fabrics from the quilt on the reverse side
The set of 3 together turned out really cute!

Once I was done with these, I realized just how thick they are, which may end up making them not so great burp cloths because they are somewhat stiff.  Oh well!  They're still cute and really absorbent, so that's what really matters.  Hey, and if she really doesn't like using them as burp cloths, then she's got a few over-sized oven pads.  Mark said, "Once you finish a project, you're supposed to wait a couple weeks, not just start right into another one."  Yeah, that was before I told him I was almost done with them.  I whipped these little babies out in just 2 days!  I know they're not perfect (due to the thickness factor), but I'm still pretty proud of myself for turning these babies out so quickly!!

P.S. Hey Noel, here's a shout-out to you!  Is it too late to still accrue points for your contest?  :-P

1 comment:

M. Dahl said...

That turned out really cute Kat! Great work!