Monday, October 6, 2008

October Means Conference, Sports, and Fall Festvities

So this past weekend was General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mark and I watched it through the Internet, but our friend Rob Snyder lent us a cable so we could hook it up to our big screen TV. It was pretty fun to be able to watch it on the big screen instead of propping the laptop up on a chair. For some reason we couldn't get the sound through the TV, but it was sufficiently loud for our needs. I'm not certain that there was one talk in particular that really spoke to me personally, but I think the one that I remember the best (which probably means it was my favorite) was Pres. Uchtdorf's on hope. Recently I've been feeling a bit worried about whether Mark was going to be able to find a good job for his second summer internship. I know that we have doors that have not completely closed yet, so there is still hope, and this talk reminded me that I need to have hope in the bigger picture. Overall, I think I enjoyed General Conference a bit more this time...not because I felt that I needed to hear what they said more, or that I felt inspired to totally change my life in some way, but because I really did feel the Spirit throughout each session of the conference. I'm actually looking forward to going back and reading those talks again to gain extra insight from them.



In the world of sports, at least the few that we pay attention to in the Boston Dahl House, we were excited to watch the BYU Cougars play USU in Logan, UT, but we were very disappointed in the way that they played. Yes, BYU won the game, but it was just a sloppy game for them overall. They didn't score much after the 1st quarter, and they're lucky that they scored what they did in that quarter because it was not a pretty show after that.

Last night we turned on the score to see how the Red Sox were doing, and they were tied at the bottom of the 11th inning. I'm glad that we didn't stay up watching it to the end because the disappointed talk around the office this morning has been , "I stayed up all the way until 1:30AM just to see them lose! What a waste of time!" So, I guess the Red Sox weren't able to sweep the Angels, but they only need to win one more before they eliminate the Angles and move on to bigger and better games.



Mark and I still seem to go about each day, not doing a whole lot different from the previous day, but we are excited for Fall. Our friends the Snyders invited us over after General Conference to see their new apartment (and so that Christina could show me all her baby stuff- she's so excited and only has 10 weeks left before her baby boy is due). We had a nice time just chatting for friends and eating pumpkin pie and cinnamon rolls.

Mark's parents are coming out for a visit next week, and we are TOTALLY looking forward to that. Mark said he wanted to go out for a drive yesterday, but we don't get General Conference on the radio, so we had to stay home in order to watch it. It would've been nice to just go for a drive to see the leaves changing. I hope that there are still pretty views once Mark's parents arrive because I really would like to see the fall colors with them.