Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just Another Day, Another Interview

Well, I haven't posted for a little while because I really haven't felt that there was much noteworthy to blog. We don't have kids who are hitting fun milestones with cute stories to share. We don't really seem to have a whole lot going on that really seem like life-changing experiences. Then I realized that sometimes the everyday things are exactly the ones that I need to share.

Mark had two more interviews on Tuesday, and he didn't have to miss any classes this time. Yay! Of course he feels that they went well, but so did all of the other interviews that also sent him rejection letters. This Tuesday he interviewed for a firm called Holland and Hart, and it is a Denver-based firm with a branch in Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. It would be really great to be able to work for that firm because it will bring us closer to family...but as of now...being able to work for ANY firm sounds pretty good.

On Wednesday Mark had a second interview (the only call-back interview he's been invited to so far) that he thought went pretty well too. It's a firm in Hartford, CT called Murtha Cullina. His major concern with that interview was that one of the partners that interviewed him said that they hired someone from BYU who was from Utah who constantly told them that he wanted to stay there in CT, but after 2 years he moved back to Utah. Therefore, he felt hesitant to hire Mark because he fits that same description. Ugh! Yes, we have family in Utah and would like to live closer to them, but we also would have no reservations to living in CT for a very long time. I mean, living in Utah doesn't make me any closer to my family in Illinois than being there in CT...but I guess there isn't really a way to prove that to this firm at this point. We just have to wait a couple more weeks to see what they decide. Their recruiting committee meets only once a week, and they already met this week, so they won't discuss Mark until next week...and then we'll hear after that.

I think that Mark and I decided (I guess there can always be more discussion to really talk about the details) that if he ends up getting this internship in CT, then I would still live in Boston and keep my current job. It's less than a 2 hour drive, so I would be able to drive down every weekend to see him, and it won't be as bad as it was when he was in China. I can still talk to him on the phone, the time zone won't be any different, and I wouldn't need to buy plane tickets in order to see him. Paying the extra rent for him, the gas to drive back and forth, and the extra groceries to feed him should come to less than $4000 for the summer, and he will be earning that within only a couple weeks of work...so it would be totally worth it for me to keep my current job until we're all the way through with this stage. However, this is all wishful thinking. We really won't be able to really "decide" what to do with our summer until we actually have options.

So...for now Mark keeps pluggin' along with his homework, and I keep doing what I do at work. Church callings keep life from getting too boring. We keep praying because we really don't know what else we can do. We go forward with faith knowing that as long as we "do our best, God will provide!" Call me naive if you'd like, but I truly believe that Heavenly Father sent us here to Boston for a reason, and it wasn't just so that He can let us down here and now. He wants us to succeed, so we will...but we don't know exactly how just yet! I guess that's what faith is, though- a hope for things which are unseen which are true. :)