Monday, December 15, 2008

Bad News First...Then a Good Week

Those of you who read my first post of November know that we had to replace both our side-view mirrors on our car. Well, just this weekend, we found that someone had knocked off the passenger mirror again, which means that we'll have to replace it again, and it's less than 2 months later. *Grrrr! It cost us over $300 to replace them the last time, now we'll have to spend another $150+ this time. It's so frustrating because we know that there's not a whole lot that we can do about this. Reporting it to the police won't actually prevent it from happening in the future. I think there's a group of college kids who think it's funny to vandalize cars in the neighborhood.

Earlier this year we bought a big-screen TV (and still no regrets), but because of how much it cost, Mark and I decided that we wouldn't buy each other any Christmas gifts. Our Christmas just came early. Then, when we had to replace the car mirrors we decided that we wouldn't buy any anniversary gifts either. Now that we have to replace the mirror again, what are we going to cut-out this time? I have no idea, but we will certainly have to watch our budget a little closer for a little while.

On a more happy note, this weekend was a pretty good one for us. Saturday was our Ward's Christmas Breakfast, and it was fun to be there with friends and put together some school kits for under-privileged children. Afterwards, my visiting teachers came over. When they were done with the official monthly visit, we all decided that we would go run some errands together. Mark had to study, so I didn't think he'd mind me not distracting him. After I dropped off my Christmas package at UPS, Crystal said that she was going to go downtown to do some Christmas shopping, and Dershin and I decided to join her. We spent most of the day just going to a few different stores, getting a few things done. Then I took Crystal and Dershin to Sephora at the Prudential Center Mall because Dershin had never really used make-up (she doesn't really need it), and I gave her a make-over. It was really fun. All three of us walked out of there with make-up all done and feeling pretty!

It's not very often that I get to do girly things with girly friends, but this was a really fun time. It was like we were all best friends and didn't really have anything all that important to do at home. Just being with them was the fun part, and feeling like we each got something productive done was a bonus. Dershin is still experiencing many things for the first time here in the US, like Wendy's, and make-overs, and Christmas shopping. Of course she took several pictures, but I don't have any of them to post- sorry!

Sunday was a normal Sabbath for us, including going to Church, visiting teaching, home teachers, and watching specials on the Discover Channel about the scientific evidence that may support the mysteries of some of the Biblical Stories like the flood of Noah's Ark, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the 10 plagues of Egypt pronounced by Moses, the parting of the Red Sea, and the Shroud of Turin. Overall it was a great weekend...even with a broken mirror.

This week is one that I'm looking forward to. Mark has finals on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, but after that he'll be done. I have a work holiday party on Thursday afternoon, which I'm pretty sure means that I'll get to go home early, and that's our 4th wedding anniversary. I took off Friday for vacation so that we could have fun celebrating our anniversary without worrying about me getting up in time for work Friday morning. Friday night we're going to have a movie party to watch The Dark Knight with some friends. After that is the weekend, so how can I not be excited? I'm expecting a good week!

No comments: