Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy 2009!!

So Christmas in Chicago was great...a little too short for all the stuff we wanted to cram in. We did get to go to the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, though.

(Honestly, when there are about 30 or so people, there is only enough time for so many games before the day is done.) We scheduled 2 whole days of just hanging out at the church (because no house could hold this large of a group), and it still felt like we didn't have enough time to just relax. I'm grateful for that time though, and I hope it's not another 10 years before we will do it again...even though it probably will be that long.

New Years was pretty fun for us too. New Years Eve, Mark and I went to the parade downtown with our friends, the Carders.

It was SOOOooo bitter cold that we went for hot chocolate twice. We stood at the end of the parade line so that we could rush to the movie theater right after it was over. I swear the parade participants were told to walk fast or something because the whole thing was done in about 30 minutes, and last year it was well over an hour. We didn't mind though because it was so cold.
Cassie and I both got tons of necklaces thrown to us and stickers placed on our cheeks.


Then we watched the fireworks from inside the movie theater across the street. We had the best seats in the house...perfect view from the warm side the of the tall windows. After the fireworks, the four of us watched the movie Valkyre. It wasn't the most exciting movie we've ever seen, but overall we quite enjoyed the film. The reviews weren't that great, but we often don't agree with the movie critics.
After the movie we and the Carders parted ways, and we went to a party at our neighbor's place. After treats, a little Guitar Hero, and a slow stroke of midnight, Mark and I went home.
We had considered spending New Years in Ohio with Mark's Uncle to have the Dahl Family New Years Breakfast, but since Mark had too much work to do on his paper for school, we just spent it in Boston. I tried to imitate a breakfast similar to the traditional meal, but it really didn't compare at all. I really don't know how to make it, and poached eggs aren't as easy as it may sound. So...it really was nothing like New Years Breakfast, but I tried...and it was the thought that Mark liked.

Since New Years we had only a few things to mention:
1) We cat-sat a few days for our neighbors because one of their guests was allergic to their cats. We really enjoyed having little Athena and Leonidas with us, but we realized that the cat-hair is a strong deterrent for us to want to have pets of our own.



2) Mark has applied for some more internships, mostly for judges and attorney generals' offices. So far he was invited to one interview, but there are several that have not posted their selections yet. We're continuing to pray and hope that Mark will find something that will guide him toward a full-time position that he'll enjoy for after he graduates.

3) At work I was made the assistant of 2 associates here in the office. I've been waiting for more tasks to do, and I'm so excited that I finally get the chance. I've never been a direct assistant to an associate before, so this will be a great opportunity for me to learn new things. I only have a few months left before my 1 year review, so they're going to be watching my progress very closely. Hopefully I will be able to please all of them. I was so excited because this will mean that I have more things to do. I got my hopes up because these first couple days back in the office have been really busy, and I loved it. Now today, Wednesday, it's back to the old slow day routine. Hopefully things will pick up again. I like feeling like I'm doing something useful in the office. (I know what I do is useful, but it doesn't always feel that way!)

4) Mark's made a few New Years Resolutions, and I'm still trying to come up with something that I really want to consider a resolution for myself. Mark and I are going to make a better effort of going to the Temple more often by going every 3rd Saturday of the month, but that was more Mark's than mine. I guess I can claim it too! :) I guess I've decided to read 1 book per month this year. If you know me, you know that I'm not a big reader, so this is a hefty goal, but I think I can do it... especially if I get enough slow days in the office.


What are you resolved to change in your life in 2009?

No comments: