Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Night IN with My Valentine!

Valentine's Day weekend was not necessarily spent reveling in romance, but it was pretty fun. The J. Reuben Clark Law Student Society was having its annual conference, this year hosted by Harvard Law School. So there were several people flying in from all over country to attend. We hosted two girls, one coming from Seattle and the other from Salt Lake, so they wouldn't have to pay for a hotel. We offered to provide housing for up to two because we have a bed in our spare room and an extra air mattress to place in the living room. Mark was attending the conference anyway, so he was able to drive them to and from the conference, which turned out to be quite convenient for them. The conference actually went through lunch of Valentines' Day.

Since Mark and I weren't planning on actually getting gifts for V-Day, I decided that I can still do something sweet for him to show that I love him without spending money. I had considered doing this for his birthday, but I knew that it was really bothering him...so I did it for V-Day. I dropped Mark and the girls off at the conference so that they wouldn't have to worry about parking. On the way, Mark was trying to guess what I was planning on doing that day, but I was trying to keep it a surprise. (Gifts are more fun when they don't know what they're getting!) After I got back home is when I cleaned out the car! It took me about 3 hours, but I cleaned out the little crevices, spot treated the upholstery, vacuumed, and cleaned all the inside surfaces and glass. It would've been more fun if it weren't so cold, but I can't change the season of V-Day. Oh well, at least it was warmer than it could have been. My hands were so cold by the end of it though. When I picked them up from the conference, Mark asked me what I had done the whole time they were gone, and I just said, "You haven't noticed yet?" The girls in the back were trying to figure it out too because they noticed that I didn't change my hair or anything. After about 2 seconds Mark declared, "Oh, you cleaned the car!" He told me a few times throughout the rest of the day that he really appreciated what I had done. He's a sucker for service as a sign of love. I think he was happy with it.

As for me, I got to NOT make dinner that night. Mark could have cooked dinner, but he figured that I'd rather have something good to eat...ha ha! So we ordered in pizza from Uno's because we never tried their pizza yet. I was shocked to see how small it was, but then I was baffled to find that we had left-overs when we were done. Their deep-dish pizza was really filling for its size. We were pleasantly surprised! We ate and watched a few episodes of King Of Queens because our neighbors lent us the 1st season. We just had a quiet night at home. I would say just the two of us, but one of the girls we hosted wasn't feeling well, so she was home and in the second bedroom the whole time. It was a nice calm V-Day, and I think we were both satisfied with the time we got to spend together. No big hassles (except for the whole cleaning the car bit, but who's counting that?), just a relaxing time together.


It was also a long weekend for me because my work was closed for Presidents' Day; so it was great to just be able to spend 3 days in a row with my hubby. Honestly, it doesn't really get much better than that!

No comments: