Thursday, August 13, 2009

Shakespeare...Take Two

This last week was pretty busy for us in the Dahl House. I don't really remember what we did on Friday because it was just too long ago for this pregnant mind, but Saturday had an early start with Mark getting up to go to his weekly meeting (which ended up being cancelled, but since no one announced that, a few people still showed up). When he returned, I was taking a practice test for the GRE, and he wanted to watch the movie we got from Netflix- Bolt! By the time that was over, and I had hurried to fix lunch, we had to leave to go serve at the Temple for 4 hours. Then, by the time we were finished with that, we had to go grocery shopping for a few essentials so that I can make dinner for guests we were having at 6:00pm. Turns out, I wasn't able to get it into the oven until right about when they came (they were early, but still, no where near being ready for them). Thankfully, they didn't really mind waiting around for it all to finish baking, and we enjoyed a nice meal of baked chicken with rosemary potatoes and then a game of DDR for a little entertainment. Our guests left at about 9:30 or so, and by that time I was so tired that I probably could've fallen asleep right then. Of course, I found other things to do around the house, trying to clean up a bit, and ended up going to bed later than I really should have.

Sunday morning we both were preparing lessons for Church, and just enjoying the time we had before leaving for Choir...normally we don't feel like we have much time on Sunday mornings, but it wasn't too rushed this time. We left in time for choir, attended our three meetings, and during the linger longer mingle time invited some people over for dessert that night to hang out. After rushing through our home-made chicken pot-pie with the elders who were joining us for dinner, the elders came with me to visit a friend Gloria in a nearby nursing home. I knew that we were having people coming over at 8:00, so I wasn't going to be able to visit for long, but I had been thinking about Gloria that morning and really thought I should go see her. Bringing the missionaries along with me made it feel less like I was abandoning our dinner guests and it gave them a chance to meet someone new who could use a little more company and uplifting conversation. It was really good to have them with me to see her, and she was so happy to make new friends. After our short visit, I got home at about 8:25 or so and was so happy to see that our dessert guests had already arrived and were all chatting with Mark in our living room. We really didn't do much other than talk and get to know each other...and Mark giving the obligatory demonstration of our surround sound system while praising the maker-Phil Liddiard- through the whole thing. It was well after 10pm by the time everyone had left, so again I stayed up later than pertinent.

Monday we decided to make plans to enjoy one of Boston's traditions (which we never heard about until fairly recently) by going to see free Shakespeare in the Boston Common. We gathered a group of 6 together and all met after I got off of work in the park with camping chairs, ready to enjoy a nice show. Problem was, there was no one else setting up to watch the show...after a short while Phil found a stage worker and asked if there was going to be a show. "Monday is our day off!" she replied. Ugh! The website didn't mention anything about Monday night NOT having a show...I saw "Shows Daily at 8pm, except Sundays at 7pm." So I never considered that our FHE activity would be thwarted by a "day off!" Oh well! The weather was really nice, so we decided to go get pizza for dinner and just hang out at the park. Really, it was a very fun time together...and I really hope that we find time to do stuff like that again. I think we were all at the park until around 10pm...so that was a long night too.

Tuesday, I was just exhausted, so we stayed home without doing anything terribly exciting that night. We started to watch a Red Sox game, but then decided to go to bed and read for a while instead.

Wednesday Mark just couldn't handle being in the apartment anymore. Since he's finished his internship, he's been spending his days at home and not being very productive...he's been so busy this summer, who can blame him for not wanting to still be doing schoolwork? So, he was quite bored by the time I was going to be getting off of work, so we decided to try the Shakespeare in the Common again. This time it was just the two of us, but the weather was not nearly as nice as it was on Monday. It was breezy and misting- not quite raining, but we were still getting wet... which made the breeze feel even colder. It was uncomfortable, but still bearable... so we stayed through that show. Honestly, it was pretty fun! They performed "Comedy of Errors" and put a 1930's spin on it. I'm glad we did it. If we're here next August I'd like to see the next show they do. We didn't get home until about 11pm...so AGAIN, I stayed up later than I really should be, but it was worth it.

Tonight, being Thursday, I'm glad we don't have plans. I think we're having someone coming for dinner on Friday, so this will be a night to recuperate after a long and exciting week. Can't wait to see what next weekend will look like for us. Hopefully I'll get more time to study for the GRE because I will be taking it in about a month!! AHHH!! The joys of living life to the fullest!!

No comments: