Friday, August 28, 2009

Value of Validation

This may seem like a petty or silly thing to post about, but some things happened today that really made me want to count my blessings.

First of all, I really don't ask people to give up their seats on the T, and I don't try to make nonverbal cues that would suggest that I want someone to give up their seat. However, I really do love it when people notice that I'm pregnant, catch my attention and offer it up on their own. It makes me feel like people in general are actually nice. This morning, I had my bag and three books (two of which were rather larger) that I carried onto the T. I was just getting settled against the wall with my belongings on the floor when a lady offered her seat. I was really grateful because it felt like it was going be a bumpier ride than usual. I was trying to pick up my bag (without falling over as it was very bumpy at that point) and make my way over to the seat when a man noticed the difficulty I was having. He offered to pick up my books for me so that I could just sit down. I know it's really nothing all that big, but it was the kindness of not one, but two strangers that really made my morning.

Then, today was expected to be a very slow day at work. Most of the people are out of the office (including the office manager who is my direct supervisor) with only about 4 other guys here. Not much going on, and not much to do...or so I thought. It turns out that the first email I get this morning was to change the return flight time for two of the people who are traveling today. With all the hassle that it required (because one of them had already checked-in for the return flight...not as easy to change at that point), I was able to finalize all of that in about a half hour...but it took that long to do it.

Then, one of the analysts brought my attention to the refrigerator which is NOT WORKING. The ice in the freezer was all melted, and the drinks were merely cooler than room temperature. So, I emailed my manager (even though she's supposed to be on vacation today) to ask her what I'm supposed to do. Is there a particular place that I'm supposed to call for that or anything? After trying to change the settings to make it colder didn't work, I decided that it was time to take action (with the manager's permission, of course)- to look up our options for a technician to repair the fridge.

As I was doing that, I got a request to change the travel plans AGAIN for the same people I just changed this morning. Ok...so this time it wasn't as bad because it was really only cancellations and checking availability since they can just go stand-by (which I suggested in the first place instead of changing it with a fee the first time, but oh well!), so that turned out to be a quick fix in the middle of my technician research.

After looking at a couple different websites, I chose a technician that would come right away and seemed to be a good choice. Hopefully it will all work out and that everything will be easily and painlessly repaired. I told my manager when the technician is scheduled to come in (since she's the one who will have to be here for the Saturday service call) and she responded to the email with a "great job"!

Ok, now this may seem like nothing big to you, but when I read that very simple email, I felt like I was about to cry. (Ok, that may have something to do with pregnancy horomones, so I guess I'm expected to be more emotional...) Really, I get so stressed out over the stupid little things that I do wrong at work. I feel like my manager is keeping a tally of the little things that will go against me and show that I'm a bad employee or something. I rarely am told that I did a good job on something because she would just expect that I do it right the first time... it's not like my job is very demanding. So, with this one, I felt really rewarded by her validation. I know that I probably harbor bad feelings over my mistakes more than my manager does, but I feel like I never get the pat on the back for a job well done. I don't really think that it's my manager's fault, so don't think that's what I'm saying. It's just that when I do receive a comment of validation, it really goes a long way.

You know, I realize that I probably don't give out enough compliments or validate the good works that I see around me often enough. So, if I haven't validated you recently, feel free to take this message to say that you deserve a hug, a pat on the back, or a high-five...right from me! I think you're great and you should feel good about the work you do too! GO YOU!! :)

2 comments:

Joe and Cassie said...

I know what you mean... it really makes a difference when someone (especially your boss) validates your work!

Jordan (MamaBlogga) said...

Let me just tell ya—after you have the baby and you aren't obviously pregnant anymore, you really come to miss the kindness of strangers.

(To get all Tennessee Williams on you.)

Seriously—I wanted a badge that said "LACTATING MOM--I JUST BIRTHED A BABY."

But I doubt it would have worked.