Thursday, January 5, 2012

Welcome to Motherhood...oh wait, I've been here for a while

When Canon transitioned to a toddler bed, it was practically seamless.  He was so easy to put down and he just stayed all night long.  I figured I lucked out and didn't have to deal with the phase of getting up and putting back to bed repeatedly every night.  Over the past couple of weeks, everything has changed!!!  Canon gets put to bed, he tries to stall my leaving his room by calling my name.  Now it feels like I have to tell him to go back to bed 2-3 times each night.  Oh well, I guess I couldn't be so lucky as to skip that phase altogether.  It just took Canon a little longer than I expected to reach that stage.

A few nights ago, Canon was having a hard time going to bed, but I told him that he wasn't allowed to get up and I'd see him when he woke up.  That night Mark kept me up with some pillow talk about his frustrations with his career at this point.  (No, I don't blame Mark...it's bound to happen in his situation every once in a while...the point was that it was this night that it happened...) Mark had me up until about 1:30AM.  I probably fell asleep just before 2AM...finally!

Then at 5:12AM I heard a knock knock knock at our door.  I looked and saw that the lights were all on in the family room and now Canon was at my door.  I got up and brought Canon back up to his room, turning off all the lights as I went, telling him that it was too early for him to be awake and he needed to go back to bed.  Canon seemed to take forever to go back to sleep...I finally left his room around 5:35AM, but once I got back to bed I couldn't fall asleep.

At 6:30AM I was just about to drift off into dreamland when I heard someone trying to open my door...not a knock knock knock this time...but only Canon cannot open a door when it's not locked.  I got up again and took him back to his room, turning off the lights again as I went.  This time I think it was about 7:00AM when I went back to bed.

Falling back to sleep at about 7:30AM, it was less than an hour when everyone upstairs woke up and I could hear them walking around.  Ugh!  So even though I went to bed at a normal time, I got about 5 hours of interrupted sleep the whole night.  I guess it's good practice for when the next little baby comes!  Grr!  :-/

1 comment:

Cami said...

That is frustrating! I wonder if he's starting to worry about the new baby coming. Kids can sense change even when they don't fully understand what a new sibling is. Would a night light help?