Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Kick-Off to Fall Semester

Now I'm sure you're all expecting me to make a nice long post about our camping trip that I mentioned in the last entry, but there really isn't a whole lot to say about the trip. The campsite we got was nice and big (especially in comparison to some of the surrounding sites) with one edge against the forest. We had a fire pit, so we were able to roast marshmallows both nights. The weather was great; the trees were beautiful; the showers had hot water; the campground staff were very pleasant; and it was an overall nice and relaxing weekend. There was the fact that Mark was still concerned about his upcoming interviews and semester ahead, but it was great to just have a few days to do...well...whatever we wanted- go for a walk, take a nap, read a book, eat a snack, etc. We enjoyed ourselves, and it was great to finally get to do something really fun before school started.

This past week was pretty busy for Mark. He had 2 interviews at school on Wednesday, flew to San Francisco, had 2 interviews there on Thursday, flew to Los Angeles, had 2 interviews there on Friday, and then flew home on Friday night. He seemed to have rotten luck when he was tried taking the courtesy shuttles to/from the airport and hotels. 3 times in a row he got to the waiting area as the shuttle was pulling away. However, he had great luck on his longer flights because both of the long flights were supposed to have a connection in Chicago, but he got on stand-by for a direct flight both times.

While Mark was gone, I worked on a new quilt. Hmmm, imagine that! I was making a baby quilt for a friend who just had a baby boy. I only have the edging left to sew on, and then I can take it over to see her little baby bundle. I wanted to have it done this past weekend, but I just didn't get that far. Oh well! This past Saturday we had a dinner party with a new couple that moved in across the hall, Greg and Heather Stoutenburg. They're a very nice Christian couple and we're happy to have some new friends to do some fun things with. We also invited another couple, friends from our ward that live across the street, Joe and Cassie Carder. (I almost felt bad because I didn't realize that there was a BYU game at the same time, let alone that we were able to get it on our cable, but we were able to see the bulk of the game while dinner was still in the oven. What was funny was that Mark called the blocked kick just before they ran that play as he explained that the only way the Cougars could win is if they blocked the field goal. Needless to say, we were excited that they were able to pull it off!) We had chicken pot-pie and played Clue, Catch-phrase, and Taboo. I think it was really a fun night. Then on Sunday, Mark invited a new couple in our ward over for dinner, John and Delys Tyler. John is a 1L at BU Law, so Mark felt it would be a good chance to allow John to ask any questions about what it's like in law school, how Mark liked the classes, and just how we deal with the life of being in law school. It was a delightful time with them too, and I hope that we can get to be better friends with them too.

So, overall it was a fairly busy week, but it's been fun. We're gearing up for this next semester, praying really hard for help in finding a job for Mark, and just trying to stay afloat with callings and other duties. I'm trying to get back into the groove of cooking on a regular basis again. Mark's planning parties for the few BYU football games that we get on TV. Yep, the Fall Semester has started, and it's going to be a tough but exciting time. This week, we have a couple more interviews to look forward to, a dentist appointment for each of us, and my work party on Friday. Mark won't be able to join in on the fun though because he has classes. Actually, the party is really that the guys from the office are going golfing, then we have a BBQ lunch at the Managing Director's home...so basically I get the day off except I have to go to lunch at John's house. I guess it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make! :D


I wanted to get this post up for you to read it, but I will add pictures later, so I will post those within the next couple days!