Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A... let's call it "different"... Kind of Morning

So this morning, like most mornings, I woke up to get Canon dressed and ready for the day before taking Mark to work.  Sometimes I wait to feed Canon (and myself) breakfast until after we get back because of time.  However, this morning I wanted to see if I could finish feeding Canon breakfast beforehand.  Well, I ended up having Mark drive so that I could finish feeding him in the car on the way, which is fine... but I was starting to get hungry because I didn't eat.  I can wait though... it only takes about 1/2 hour total to drop Mark off.

All of the morning seemed fine and good- Mark was at work on time, I had a mental note of things I wanted to get done before picking him back up after work, and I had just gotten home and was thinking about what I would eat for breakfast.  I turned off the car, got out and opened the back door to get Canon.  Since Canon always likes to play with my keys, I put them in my pocket after locking the car doors because I knew that he'd put up a fight when I wanted to unlock the house door to get inside.  I got Canon out, shut the door and started for the house, reaching into my pocket to get the keys.  What?!?  No keys?  I looked in the car, there they were, sitting in the back seat.  They had fallen out of my pocket... after I locked the doors.  So I was locked out the house, with my keys locked in the car, and I didn't know what to do.

My first instinct was to call Mark, maybe he'd think of something intelligent and resourceful.  He suggested I call the landlord (Liz) to let me in the house and that maybe he'd be able to get a ride home from work.  Well, she didn't answer her phone.  (In fact, Liz didn't return the message until about 3pm today.)  I called a couple (the Hawleys) who are supposed to be hosting us for dinner tonight.  I got the husband who was at work and told him that I wanted to confirm our dinner appointment.  He told me he'd have his wife call me, and I was hoping that it was going to be right away.  (It's almost 4pm now and I still haven't heard from her.) I then called someone else whose number I had in my phone, but she didn't answer.  I asked a nice little old lady (Marie Moll- a neighbor) who was walking down the street if she'd be able to help me get to the courthouse where my husband was working so that I could get his key, but she was on her way to an appointment.  (She seemed genuinely concerned, but she's quite nervous about driving downtown.  She wanted to help but didn't have the time this morning.)  There was a couple from our ward that I wanted to call (the Stephensons), but I never programmed her number into my phone, so I couldn't reach them.  After a little while and a feeling of desperation crept on me, I started flipping through my cell's address book.  I came across someone I thought might be able to help (Callie Jennings) since I knew she was still looking for a job.  When I called her, she told me her husband had their vehicle at work, but that I should give Brooke Stephenson (the one whose number I didn't have in my phone but wanted to call) a try.  She had their phone number right there on her refrigerator, so I was able to get it from her.  Turns out, Eric Stephenson was able to stop by the courthouse and get the key from Mark and drop it off here at my house on his way in to work.  Eric said it wasn't too far out of his way, and he seemed happy to be able to help.  What a relief!!

I was in the front yard with Canon for about an hour by the time I was finally able to get into the house.  I was somewhat nervous and frazzled, but Canon wasn't any the wiser.  He just had a grand time playing in the grass and dirt, "walking" around the whole yard and up and down the sidewalk.  It was a good thing that I was able to feed him breakfast before we left because it was nap-time by the time we got indoors.  I was pretty starving though.  It was about 10:00am before I got to eat my breakfast, and I had been up since about 7:00am.  *sighs*

At least I was able to get Canon down for 2 real naps today, even if I didn't get anything else in the house done.  I'm just grateful for the blessing of a home, a loving and understanding husband, and a network of friends who could help me out in a time of need.  Needless to say, I felt kinda stupid this morning... but I'm better now!

1 comment:

LittleBrownFamily said...

I have done that SO many times! It's extra tough when you have a baby, and even worse when it's wintertime. I'm glad you had good friends who could and did help you out.