Saturday, January 15, 2011

Who vacations to Chicago in January???

Who vacations to Chicago in January?  Well, apparently Canon and I do.  For Christmas my brother Rob bought me a plane ticket to visit family in January.  Since Canon is still free and a lap child, he comes with me pretty easily.  We couldn't really afford to buy Mark a companion ticket, so he's still in Massachusetts while I visit my family in Illinois.  It's been a lot of fun to hang out with my parents, my brother and his family, and to see other family too.

Much of what has gone on so far is kind of blur in my memory, but here's what I can tell you about our trip up until now.

I arrived on Friday afternoon. The snow started falling on our way home from the airport, and it just did not let up.  Jeff and Mary with their 3 boys were supposed to come in a few hours later, but due to the weather, driving conditions, and traffic, they arrived really late that night.  Canon was already in bed. 

Saturday, I woke up to this adorable face!

I just love his bed head!
I think we just hung out around the house all day, and I think it was Canon's first experience with falling down a flight of stairs too. (poor kid!)  I know that night I went to a birthday party for a friend from high school.  After I put Canon to bed, I made my way to the bowling alley, and it was a blast.  I expected to be there for only about an hour tops...but I was there for about 2 hours.  There were so many people from high school that I haven't seen in the last decade, so I spent a lot of time just catching up with everyone there I knew.   Yay for old-time friends!  (Now I almost feel like I don't even need to go to my 10-year high school reunion this summer. Ha ha!)

Sunday we went to church (duh!) and saw so many old friends and mentors.  I always wish that there was more time in between classes so that I can talk more with people.  After church we had to stick around for a little while because Jeff accidentally left the lights on and killed the car's battery.  We couldn't get our other car close enough to jump it, so I took Canon inside to feed him while they experimented with using two sets of jumper cables together.  That apparently worked because they got the car up and running again. 

I don't really remember anything special about Monday... we were probably just hanging out around the house. Nothing special... although that was probably the day that Canon fell down the stairs 3 times. (Yeah, he likes the stairs, and there' only so much you can do when all he wants to do is practice climbing up and down them.  We borrowed a baby gate, but I'd rather he get his "falling" done and out of the way before we go back to MA where our stairs are really steep and extra dangerous.  He's doing better, but we still need to keep an eye on him.  Getting him to stop and turn around before stepping off the edge is the hard part.  He just has no fear, that kid!)

On Tuesday we went to the Dupage Children's Museum, which was really a ton of fun for all of us.  Of course the 4 little guys really enjoyed it, but I half think my two older brothers enjoyed themselves more.  I felt bad for poor Canon though.  The time we arrived at the museum was about when he should've been going down for a nap (that was my fault because I took too long to get ready), and he totally crashed in the car on the way home.  Here are a few fun shots from the DCM.

 Enjoying himself in the Little Explorer's section

 "Ooh, velcro gears!"

 Splashing away!

"Look, Mommy!  A waterfall!"

That night my mother was scheduled to work at the Chicago LDS Temple.  So we planned as a family to all go that night.  It was a good thing we did too because the entire endowment session was made up of my brother and his wife and the witness couple, my father, and me.  My mother followed along in that session, so afterwards we all went to participate in some sealings.  We then went to Cheddar's for dessert and rushed home to our babysitters.  It so nice to be able to just get away with the family to the Temple and not really have to worry about bedtime with the baby.  Apparently Canon did give the babysitters any trouble and he went down to bed really easily.  (That was a relief becuase he really didn't get a nap that afternoon.  Yes, he crashed in the car on the way home from the museum, but he didn't sleep longer than about 30 minutes total.  He woke up and would not go back down shortly after getting home.)  The other kids were more of a handful, but the babysitters seemed to be able to handle it just fine and everyone was safe and sound once we got home- after 10pm.

We haven't really had any more family outings, but I took Canon with me to go visit a few high school friends.  Wednesday evening I went to see Lauren Miller (Chuck was supposed to be there, but he bailed out due to deadlines at work! Hopefully we'll see him this next Monday!) and her parents.  I kept Canon out a bit later than I should've, but it was good to see her and show off my little handsome guy to her.  Thursday evening I took him to go see Doug and Stephanie Carlisle and to meet their newest little baby.  It was really great to be able to catch-up with them and to talk as though we'd never been apart.  It was nice to also get a little break away from the chaos of rowdy boys.  True, Doug and Steph have more kids than my brother does, but their kids are quieter, and not quite as rambunctious.  Canon is not used to being around so many children, especially ones that are older than he is, so I think it was a much needed break for him too.

Friday we hung around the house all day.  We babysat a family friend's daughter because he was really sick and his wife was at work.  It wasn't really that much harder since she just played with the other kids, but that's a lot of kids in one house.  My parents went out to a movie that afternoon as a date and Mary wasn't feeling well pretty much the whole day.  I have been missing Mark this whole trip, but Friday was the hardest so far.  I guess it hasn't really felt like much of a vacation for me because I don't really get a break from Canon...plus I have Jeff and Mary's kids who, although they are angels, are a lot of work and don't allow for much rest, even when Canon's napping. (I think that's the main reason I haven't been able to blog until now...nor have I been able to really remember much more of what happened from day to day.)  Mark made me promise that I would actually play more with my family and not just sit around reading all day and night.  (Those who know me understand how ironic that statement is... but I've actually started and finished Catching Fire, which is the 2nd book to the Hunger Games series.  I had to borrow Mockingjay from a friend so that I can continue before I go home.)  Reading has been my only relief on this trip... it's a good thing I had a good book!

Today is Saturday.  Right now, Canon is napping and tonight is our big family get-together.  We will have 6 of the 8 siblings all together.  We've been looking forward to this all week...let's just hope that the house will hold together with that many people! :-D

1 comment:

Monique said...

He is just absolutely adorable. So handsome. :-)