Friday, January 28, 2011

Who Vacations to Chicago... Part 2

My mother kindly reminded me that I forgot to mention that the first Saturday that I was in town we all went out for pizza at Giordano's for my dad's birthday.  Other than the fact that Canon was pretty much refusing to consume anything other than chocolate milk and constantly throwing his crackers to the floor, I had a great time.  He was basically throwing a fit and I knew he needed to go to bed, but it was still fun to eat yummy food and laugh with family. I apologize to my dad for having forgotten to add this in the previous post.

Now, to continue where I left off...

Saturday evening was really fun to have so many people together.  The house was really full, but I wouldn't replace that night with anything else.  I thoroughly enjoyed talking with my brother Steve and his wife Maggie.  I don't get to see them or talk with them much, and it was a real treat.  We also all played a game called "Things" and all got a good laugh. (It was actually pretty hard with that many people, but it was a blast!)  I don't know how many more opportunities we'll get to all come together, so I count my blessings that I had the chance to let my baby meet so many of his aunts and uncles (even if he won't remember it)!

Sunday night was pretty fun too.  My brother David's wife (Aileen) and her daughter (Cherry) came back from the Philippines, where they're from and had been visiting for quite a while.  So we gathered as a family for a welcome home party.  Jeff made several things out of balloons- animals, hats, and a house that really ended up being more like a box but the kids had a grand ol' time playing with it.  We put up streamers, and David got Dora the Explorer decorations and cake.  Cherry was so excited to see all the Dora stuff and it was so great to see her smiling over everything.









Monday I don't remember doing a whole lot other than trying to take it calm.  I do remember that evening I planned to go out to dinner with a few friends of mine, and the rest of my family went out to eat somewhere else.  It was really nice to get with Chuck (finally), his girlfriend Lisa, and Lauren (again) for a dinner at Chili's.  It may not have been an entire evening, but to have a calm time with the attention on my boy was fun for me.  (Ok, ok so maybe I'm a little prideful, but I love to show off my little guy and have people tell me how cute he is.  He really enjoys the attention too, so it was good all around... except for maybe the car-ride home since he really doesn't like being in the car.)

Tuesday was the day we all went home, so it had its moments of chaos, but not many.  My afternoon flight was timed pretty well because it allowed Canon to have his full nap before heading to the airport.  However, he was so hyper in the airport and on the plane.  I knew he would be getting tired by the end of the flight, but that would just make him even more restless.  At first I took a seat near the middle/front of the plane in a middle seat, but then someone suggested that there might be more empty seats in the back.  I headed toward the back and took a spot with two open seats.  Then the girl in that row offered to move to the next row back to allow me to have the whole row to myself.  That was so nice of her.  It really made all the difference to have a bit of leg room to allow Canon to get down every once in a while.  Of course, every time I let him down he wanted to walk out into the aisle (all at bad timings too), but it was so great to have all three seats to ourselves.  He was pretty difficult for me to handle, but that's because I was trying to keep him happy and quite.  Everyone else on the plane thought that he did great.  (Phew!)  I tell you though, by the time we got back to Massachusetts, Canon was not as excited to see Mark as I had hoped he would be... but that's because he was so sleepy.  I was glad to be home though!

Mary and Sammy right before leaving for the airport.
I have to say that as glad as I was to be home, I'm still so grateful to my brother Rob for those plane tickets to go visit family in Bolingbrook, IL.  It was great to be with my parents again, to see all the new colors they've painted in their house.  I loved spending time with Jeff and Mary with their kids.  Getting to know them as their personalities are really shining, it was great to see how different they are from Canon and each other.  I am amazed at how well her children behave during prayers and just their happy attitudes toward so many things.  Sammy is such a cuddle-bug, I'm kinda jealous.  Just seeing how Jeff and Mary interact with their kids and each other- I think they're an inspiration... or a mental kick in the pants to tell myself that there are things I ought to do better on a regular basis.  I hope that I can find a way to teach my children to listen as well as theirs do.  I also never realized how loud my own child is until this trip.  You mean... not all kids just stand there and shout at the top of their lungs when they get excited about something, or just because they want to hear the sound of their own voice?  Huh, go figure!  I guess you learn something new everyday.  Thanks again, Rob, for the tickets.  It was a great time!
us with Dan and Bonnie just after the Dora party

No comments: