Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mark's Job & Canon's Sleep-Time Behaviors

For those who haven't heard yet, Mark has gotten a job!  Ok, ok...so really it's only a short-term contract position. Someone from church said that his firm was looking to hire a bunch of attorneys for contract work on a big case.  It's doing really boring discovery work for the firm in Salt Lake City, and it only lasts for about 5-6 weeks or so.  However, we are very glad for it because it's $35/hour for up to 45 hours/week, depending on how much he works.  (Normally Mark would charge about $150/hr for work with his own clients, but when he only is able to bill about 3 hours/week, this contract job is a much better wage for the time being.)  They allow him to take off time to do what he might need to for his own practice.  The firm has hired about 8 attorneys to help with this "very boring" discovery work, and the case's deadline is Feb. 24th, so it's not very long-term.  We're happy for the little bit of help though.  We've prayed for SOMETHING for so long; there's no complaints here.

Canon has been doing some things that I think are cute...but kinda frustrating too.  Imagine that...it's like he's a 2-year-old or something.  It takes him longer to go to bed at night because he is always trying to stall me leaving.  Will always ask for one more story.  Then he'll ask for one more song after lights are turned out.  Once I tell him that I'm saying "good-night" and "Remember, it's not ok to get out of bed.  You need to stay in bed. I'll see you in the morning when you wake up.  I love you!" that's when Canon starts calling my name without making any requests other than, "come here!" and "come back!"  Over the past couple weeks he somehow got into the habit of having a sippy cup of apple juice in bed.  HOW ON EARTH DID THAT HAPPEN??  I really didn't like that, so I've been working on trying to break that.  Now when he asks for it I either tell him he can have water, or that he just doesn't need a drink.  Most of the time I just need to have a thick skin and say "no!"  (They taught me in middle school how to say no to drugs...but who teaches us to say no to our kids?!?!  When they ask so nicely for something that in and of themselves are not bad- like apple juice- it's not easy to think of a way to make the rejection light for the kid.)

I wonder how long Canon stays awake in bed before going to sleep sometimes.  Last night I went to a RS meeting where we worked on humanitarian aid projects.  When we got home around 9:30pm, Canon heard my voice and came out with a huge excited grin.  When I gave him a disapproving look, he changed his expression... not sure if he was going to be in trouble, but he was still so happy to see me.  Apparently Mark had finished putting Canon down at 8:30pm, but when he heard my voice he just had to come see me.  So I took him back to his room and rocked him and sang to him...only one song that time.  And tonight he had been there for about 30 minutes.  I went upstairs just to see how he fairing, and I saw that he was peeking out of his door.  He heard the voice of Alex's girlfriend, Lauren, and he wanted to come out to see her.  (I think he has a little crush on her.  He is so excited to see her every time she's around.)  I let him come out and give her a good-night kiss on the cheek and brought him back to his room.  He gave her a little shy wave and "buh-bye" that I thought was really adorable.... but I couldn't just let him be awake because he's cute.

No comments: