Monday, April 2, 2012

Potty-Time??

We borrowed a training potty from my sister-in-law and had it sitting in our bathroom for quite a while now.  I figure that when it's time, Canon will let us know.  I'm not pushing it or anything, and I know you don't want to worry about potty-training when there are too many other things going on.  (Getting rid of the binky is my first habit-altering priority for him right now!)  However, I let him know on several occasions that he can sit on it whenever he wants to.

The last week or two I've noticed that he's becoming more aware of his body.  Once he peed when I was changing his diaper because he thought it would be funny...he did it on purpose!!  He did it recently in his bath tub too when he was getting ready to get out.  Which means that he is getting better at recognizing and controlling it.  Well, last night after his bath he was standing naked in the hallway.  He looked like he was trying to pee all over the carpet....

"No, no, no...I need to get a diaper on you first!"  I said.  Then Mark chimed in, "OR you can just sit on your potty!"  After only a little bit of coaxing, Canon actually agreed to sit on his potty.  Wouldn't you know it, he tried sooo hard to go potty.  It looked like he was trying to push for #2.  I told him he didn't have to, no pressure...but in the end, he did go pee in his potty.  He stood up and was so proud of himself.  Mark and I were both there congratulating him too.  It was pretty cool to be there for that moment.

Way to go, Canon!!

Of course, it will probably be a long time before Canon will be willing to go in the potty again, but for now...I'd like to celebrate that my little boy is growing up.  I'm not rushing for him to be potty-trained, but if he sees that using the toilet and acting like a big kid as cool then I'll be glad for it.  It would be nice to have him out of diapers by the time the baby's born in June, but I'm not holding my breath!

No comments: