Friday, November 8, 2013

Just a Little Something I'd Like to Remember

This post is not meant to be taken as me complaining or anything... just a reminder of what motherhood is like.

A few days ago I had a chiropractic appointment because they had my info and called me to offer a free x-ray/screening evaluation/30-minute massage/consultation which would be over the course of 2 appointments at no charge to me.  In meeting with the doctor about all my symptoms and complaints, I basically said that I didn't really think there was much to complain about, but I guess I never know what is caused by what, and an adjustment might be helpful.  We discussed mid-day fatigue, bad sleep, numbness in my hands while I slept and how it often would hurt so badly during pregnancy that it would wake me up but never outside of pregnancy, my feet falling asleep while running on the elliptical machine, and my back hurting at the end of the day if I've been standing a lot during that day.  After all was said and done, I realized maybe there are more things that need fixing than I originally thought.  (During the x-rays, the doctor told me I have an extra vertebra in my neck.  Interesting!) 

Well, since that appointment (only x-rays and consultations were done, no adjustments) my sleep has been even worse.  I've been waking up even more often than I was before the appointment, and last night at 3AM I was woken up by pain in my hands/wrists just like when I'm pregnant.  NO FAIR!  (I'm NOT pregnant, just in case you were wondering!)  Then at about 6AM, Canon came into our room and climbed into bed with me.  I figured that if all he wanted was to just cuddle, maybe he'd just fall asleep and so could I.  However, he just kept fidgeting.  He would roll, so I'd hold the sheet up, then he'd kick, then adjust his arms.... not good sleeping partner habits.  I asked him if he needed to go potty.  He shook his head.  After a little more fidgeting I asked if he was going to just fall asleep or if I should bring him back to his room because I couldn't sleep with him like that.  He told me to bring him to his room.  Fine, so I picked him up and laid him in his own bed again.  

Within 15 minutes I heard Canon get up again, turn on the lights, and go potty.  I thought it was so good of him to go potty in the middle of the night, and it totally explained why he was fidgety.  After a short while, I saw that the light was still on.  What could be taking so long?  I got up (at about 6:30AM now) to see what Canon needed.  He just said that he didn't like the dark and he wanted his light on.  I suggested having the hall light on with his door cracked open, but he wanted his bedroom light.  I asked if we needed to buy him a better nightlight and then if he could even sleep with that light on.  Well, Canon insisted, so I left it on for him and shut his door, at which time I heard Cadence cry out, but she was still sleeping.

About 10 minutes later I heard Canon shouting for me.  "Mommy.....mommy...."  So I got up... AGAIN.... and asked Canon what he wanted. "My tummy is grumbling,"  he said.  I just replied that he was probably just hungry and that he should have a drink of his water and wait until breakfast.  I still wanted to be sleeping!

By the time 7:00AM came around, I might have fallen back asleep for a short while.  However, it didn't take long for Canon to come back and ask if he could watch something on the TV.  "Yeah, sure.  Whatever, I don't care!  I just want to sleep."  Then at 7:30AM a friend called me to tell me that she's feeling much better since she had a flu bug the previous day.  

By the time 7:45AM came around, it was definitely time to get up and going, but I had a kink in my back, I had been TRYING to sleep for the past 1.5 hours, my hands were still falling asleep and tingling painfully while I slept, I had a horrible night's sleep, and I had to babysit today.  I was hoping to be able to sleep in a few minutes this morning because the boy I babysit was coming later in the morning this time, but thanks to my kids I had no such luck!

I had a really hard time being truly patient with the kids today... but I did my best, I hope!

No comments: