Saturday, November 9, 2013

Musical Mark

Some of you may know that Mark has a tendency to sing when he's trying to be silly.  He usually is making up the words as he goes along, so most of the time they aren't very witty or catchy... just fun because he spreads his good mood to those around him.

This morning, however, he came up with one that I had to write down.  Canon was throwing a tantrum because he wanted me to put syrup on his French toast, but he wasn't asking me very politely. In fact, he was downright rude and refusing to ask.  So I refused to pour his syrup until he learned to be polite about it.  Canon went on to pout and cry silently to himself while Mark, Cadence, and I ate our breakfast.  I could tell that he wanted to eat, but no way would he give in and pour the syrup himself.  He wouldn't even let Daddy pour it for him.  And how dare I think that he should eat it without syrup.  Then, Mark tried to convince Canon that saying "please" would be a good idea by creating his own tune with this:

"Please" and "thank you" are magical words.
They can make Mommy do almost anything.
"Please" and "thank you" are magical words.
They can make Mommy do almost anything.
If you say them nicely and bat your eyes,
you might be in for a big surprise.
"Please" and "thank you" are magical words.
They can make Mommy do almost anything.

When we finished giggling and repeating this little ditty, Canon got up from his chair and walked around to my chair.  He climbed up onto my lap.  By this time we had all finished eating except for Canon.  I think he was still hesitant to ask politely, but after a few minutes of cuddling he finally gave in and asked with a "please" for some syrup.  Mark poured it on Canon's plate, and then all was good for the rest of breakfast.

Sometimes music makes my heart smile!  Mark, thanks for finding a way to get through to our little pouty boy. :)

No comments: